Magnificent beaches can be found around the world, but you do not have to travel the globe to find outstanding beach vacations. Let us give you some great ideas for ten perfect beach destinations right here in the United States.
1. Since Florida is the natural spot for a beach destination, let’s begin there. With water on three sides, you are always within driving distance of a beach when you are in the Sunshine State. One of Florida’s best beaches can be found at Panama City. The emerald green waters of the Gulf of Mexico contrast with over 27 miles of white sand, making this beach one of the most beautiful in the world. During the summer, loggerhead turtles make their way ashore to lay eggs.
2. Siesta Key, Florida — Though not as popular as some of the state’s other beaches, Siesta Key is rapidly becoming a favorite destination for many vacationers. The crowds haven’t yet descended on this picturesque location. Walk mile after mile of powdery sand and keep an eye out for a variety of wildlife species.
3. We could not leave Florida without talking about Daytona Beach. Often considered the most popular beach in the world, Daytona can boast of more than just beautiful beaches. Its proximity to the major Florida theme parks is important for families who want to enjoy the beach and the attractions.
4. Head on up the east coast to Nags Head, North Carolina. This beach town has been a resort for over 150 years. This beach destination is a great family vacation, offering swimming, sunning, fishing, biking, snorkeling, exploring sunken shipwrecks, or watching the dolphins. Whether you want the opportunity to do it all or to do absolutely nothing, Nags Head is the place to do it!
5. Hilton Head Island, South Carolina — For relaxation, Hilton Head Island is hard to beat. There is plenty of room to sunbathe along the 12 miles of flat sand banks. The more adventurous will find this a great place for parasailing.
6. Gulf Shores, Alabama — It has been said that Alabama’s shore is magical. Certainly the emerald waters of the Gulf are alluring, but that is just the beginning. The wide, sandy beaches are perfect for building sand castles. While you are on the Gulf, be sure to sample some of the most succulent seafood in the world! Gulf Shores is both a great family destination and a perfect romantic getaway.
7. Mackinac City and Mackinac Island, Michigan — Not your typical beach destination, Mackinac City is a spectacular beach destination surrounded by the splendor of two of the Great Lakes: Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Here, visitors can enjoy the surf and sand on 39 miles of shoreline, or they can opt to explore the Wilderness State Park.
8. Coronado Beach in San Diego, California — There are so many beautiful beaches in California that it is impossible to pick one, but Coronado Beach comes so close to perfection that it certainly tops everyone’s list. Hit this beach in January through March and watch as whales migrate past. All year long, ample free parking is available near the beach.
9. Kailua Beach, Hawaii — Kailua Beach on the Island of Oahu in Hawaii may well be the most perfect beach in the world. Away from the crowds of Honolulu, this beach offers clear turquoise waters and white sand. With the mountains for a backdrop, this island is paradise!
10. Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii — Situated in the shadow of Bali Hai, this quiet beach is a must see for beach lovers. The beautiful white beach circles Hanalei Bay. The reef protecting the beach makes Hanalei perfect for swimming and playing. Further out, the waters are ideal for surfers.